Wednesday 15 September 2010

Fernando Torres interview. August 2007

FILLING the number nine shirt recently vacated by a Liverpool legend and becoming the club’s record signing would be enough to cause most players sleepless nights.
On top of that there’s also the obstacles of moving to a new country, learning English and having a plethora of centre-halves out to make their name against you.
If Fernando Torres was stressed out it would be understandable. But that appears to be far from the case.
“I’m relaxed,” the young Spaniard says with a smile. “Everything is very positive right now.”
When the former Atletico Madrid man arrived during the summer every Kopite was naturally delighted. But there was also an air of caution accompanying any discussion regarding our new centre-forward. On numerous occasions we’d seen talented attackers arrive in a blaze of publicity but never quite live up to the hype.
Of course it’s still very early days in our second Nando’s Anfield career but so far the signs are positive. An encouraging display at Aston Villa on the opening day of the season was followed by a goal on his home debut against Chelsea.
But it wasn’t just any goal. Torres breezed past Tal Ben Haim before curling an exquisite finish past Petr Cech in the Annie Road goal.
The mere mention of that Sunday brings a nod of recognition. Although most of the headlines were about his strike the 23-year-old talks of the game only in terms of his team.
“Yes I got on the scoresheet,” he explains. “But things could have gone better for us because if the referee hadn’t gifted them a penalty we probably would have won. We played really well on the day. Unfortunately an error cost us two points.”
And from a personal point of view? “I think it’s all about how the season ends rather that the beginning,” he modestly says. “Certainly things are going very, very well at the moment. I think the ease at which my team-mates have accepted me is very important. The lads have really made me feel like one of the group from the day I arrived and that’s been a massive help.
“It was a big, big step for me to come here but I’m absolutely sure I’ve made the right decision. Every day that goes by I’m more convinced that it was a great choice. This is one of the most important clubs in the world and I’m very happy here.”
When he was unveiled Torres spoke about his admiration for LFC and the fans. But his first experience of the Anfield roar was beyond even his expectations.
“Everyone tells you what it’s going to be like,” he elaborates. “Some of the players tried to tell me about the atmosphere and the noise. But despite that it was still very surprising to me. I had my own idea of what it might be like but that didn’t come close to the reality. It was a fantastic experience and something I won’t forget.”
THAT goal against Jose Mourinho’s men really caught the eye. But what has been even more impressive is Torres’ appetite for handwork and willingness to battle.
Even before he’d kicked a ball in the Premier League Olof Mellberg was talking about him in the press. But Torres refused to shy away from the Swede and actually took the battle to him at Villa Park.
Against Chelsea he continued with that attitude and clearly had England captain John Terry flustered. Any of those defenders that have tried to intimidate Torres or put him off his game have failed in their efforts so far.
“Football is played with the ball and not your mouth,” is his simple theory. “That’s the most important thing to remember. Opponents will always try to distract you or ruin your rhythm but that doesn’t make a difference to me. I just concentrate on the ball.”
Making the leap from La Liga to the physicality of the Premier League has proved impossible for some. But Torres has no complaints about the different style and is learning fast.
“It wasn’t a shock,” he says. “I knew the league here was a lot more physical than in Spain. The style of play is a lot more robust. What I’ve got to adjust to is the fact that in La Liga any form of physical contact results in a free-kick. But in the Premier League that doesn’t happens. The referee often just waves play on. I’m learning that every time I step on the field in England.”
The fact that the manager wants his compatriot to lead the line means he is bound to be involved in a lot more physical confrontations but it is something he appears to relish.
“Yeah, I enjoy it,” he says. “I’m aware that Rafa Benitez wants me to play right up top, leading the attack. We’ve talked about it. It’s something I’ve done in the past so it’s not a problem for me. Even if I didn’t like it I always do what the boss asks.”
Torres may have cost a hefty sum but he knows that even that doesn’t guarantee him a place in Rafa’s starting line-up.
“As everyone knows there is a lot of competition for striking places. There are four of us competing for only two positions.
“In my case when I’ve played I think I’ve combined well with all the other guys, whether it’s been Voronin, Kuyt or Crouch. There is always going to be competition between us, that’s the way it should be. We all want to start as many games as possible and the manager knows that. It’s a healthy situation for him. And should make all of us perform better.”
It would appear that Torres thrives on pressure, maybe it’s because he became accustomed to it during his time at Vicente Calderon where, as the local boy and club captain, the fans looked to him for inspiration.
“Yeah it’s true there was a lot of expectation put on my shoulders at Atletico because I was the central figure. But that’s not the case at Liverpool,” he clarifies. “It’s probably more shared around here. It’s Steven Gerrard and Carra because they’re the captains of the team and the leaders in the dressing room. They’re local lads just as I was back in Spain. Therefore it’s a good opportunity for me to learn from them and see how they cope with it.
“As far as my price-tag creating a burden I always say that it’s not my fault that my fee was so high. What’s more important to me is the fact that the board backed the manager’s judgement by putting their money where their mouth was and bringing me here. That gives me an awful lot of confidence. The price is out of my hands, I’ve just got to get on with my job and work as hard as I can every day to reward that faith.”
It’s obvious that Rafa has great belief in his number nine. And the manager’s methods have already made an impression on the striker during his short time here.
“I knew he very organised and a great tactician, I have seen even more of that on the training field,” Torres says. “He prepares so well. Every detail is looked at and as a result the team is very strong.
“What I’ve also noticed is the high regard in which he is held by the fans. They treat him with such respect, you just don’t see that in Spain.
“Obviously he’s won trophies here and should be respected but it’s more than that. They have a really high opinion of him and seem to have almost a love for him. You can hear them singing his name at the games and I really admire that attitude.”
Those same supporters have contributed to Nando’s settling in period going according to plan.
“The fans - that’s another thing about football in England that I’ve found to be a pleasant surprise,” he says. “In Spain people are very much in your face all the time. Often you can’t even walk down the street. Here it’s been fantastic.
“People say ‘hi’ in a very polite and friendly way but still keep their distance, which is nice. I guess it reflects the style of the on-field support and the good vibes we get from the terraces.”
Of course he’s also encountered another set of supporters on the streets of Liverpool. Having experienced one of football’s most intense rivalries in the Spanish capital he wasn’t sure what he would find on Merseyside. But so far so good.
“Yes I‘ve already met some Evertonians but they’ve all been very nice. They wished me the best of luck for the whole season, except for the two derby matches!”
His former side began their new domestic campaign with a derby defeat, something that Torres is well aware of. Having spent his formative years playing for Athletico it is only natural that he maintains a soft spot for Los Rojiblancos.
“I’ve still got a lot of friends there and I do keep a close eye on the day to day happenings,” the Spanish international says. “Hopefully they can go far in the UEFA Cup. Any success they have will make me very happy.”
While his former side are never far from his thoughts his ambitions clearly lie in L4.
And the possibility of his first year here ending with silverware?
“It would be nice to win all four trophies,” he jokes. “But we’re not looking at it like that. We’ve made a decent start and if you have your fair share of luck with injuries you can go far. We are certainly aiming to be fighting on all fronts. We’ve the squad to do so. Although at the moment we’re taking it slowly and not getting too far ahead of ourselves.”
As usual he isn’t worried. He’s so at ease that he takes the highly unusual step of asking if there are ‘any more questions?’ And with that he’s gone. It appears nothing can upset our new number nine. Premiership defenders you have been warned!
ENDS

LFC Weekly Magazine can be purchased in all good newsagents or on
http://www.merseyshop.com/shop/liverpool/liverpoolfcmagazine-specials

No comments:

Post a Comment