Wednesday 6 August 2014

Conor Coady, Andre Wisdom and Jack Robinson talk about life at LFC's Academy




MARCH 2010 Interview with Coady, Robinson +Wisdom

LFC: In which position does each of you play?
CC: Centre back and sometimes centre midfield.
JR: Fullback, or maybe centre-half now and again.
AW: Centre back and right wing.

LFC: Centre back and right wing, is that a strange combination?
AW: I just play wherever the team needs me. I don’t mind, I love both positions.

LFC: Did you always want to play in those positions?
AW: I just wanted to play football. Anywhere on the pitch is good for me, I always enjoy it.
JR: I started off in centre midfield at Liverpool. In one game I got moved to defence and have stayed there ever since.
CC: I think I’ve probably played everywhere for Liverpool now. Last season I even had a go up front.
AW: It didn’t work out too well though.
CC: He’s right. Now I’m settled in centre mid and really enjoy it.

LFC: Any of you ever played in goals?
JR: I have twice and kept two clean sheets. Both times the goalkeeper never turned up on matchday. We needed someone to go in and I put my hand up. It was quite good.

LFC: When did you join the Academy?
JR: I came here when I was under-10. Before that I had a trial at Manchester United. Then I had a trial here and stayed.
CC: I’ve been at the Academy since I was about six, I might be getting a testimonial soon. I was just a kid so I went to Everton for some training too but I preferred it here. I was also with a few Sunday league teams in St Helens.
AW: I’ve only been here about a year and a half. Before that I was at Bradford and joined the U16s when I arrived at Liverpool.

LFC: How does Academy football compare to other football you’ve played?
AW: It’s so much harder. I remember playing for my school
and when you got possession you could do what you liked. You could just go past people and shoot.
CC: People would try to kick you a lot too.
AW: But obviously in the academy it’s a lot more difficult. You’re up against some of the best players in the country, bigger, faster and technically better opposition.

LFC: Which club do you support?
AW: Liverpool, because of Steven Gerrard.
JR: Liverpool.
CC: Liverpool.

 

LFC: Are your families all Reds?
JR: I’ve got a mix. My dad’s a Liverpool fan; my mom’s a United fan and my step-dad’s Everton, so it’s a bit crazy.
CC: All my family are Reds.
AW: I don’t even know. (Laughs)

LFC: How would you sum up the U18’s campaign so far?
CC: Inconsistent, but it’s hard to say exactly why. It’s been a strange season for everyone in our league. One win took us from bottom to fifth recently. There isn’t much between any of the teams.
AW: That’s football I suppose, it’s a close competition.
JR: Now we’re hoping to finish as high as possible, that’s how you have to look at it.

LFC: Leicester City had been unbeaten until you defeated them 5-1 in the Youth Cup. Did you have extra motivation for that game?
CC: Probably, yeah. They were a good side and beat us 3-0 earlier in the season.
We got the impression that they weren’t taking us too seriously so I think that motivated us even more. Everyone was really up for it.

LFC: In the next round you exited the competition against Watford at Anfield, how do you look back on that night?
AW: I wouldn’t say we played badly. We lost 1-0 to a cheap penalty, which was a very disappointing way to go out.  
CC: We just didn’t perform as well as we can.
JR: All of us are eligible to play in the Youth Cup next year again so we have to do better when it comes along.

LFC: Were you nervous about playing at Anfield?
CC: I was a little giddy when I walked out first for the Wolves game. To play there is unbelievable. Andre had done it a few times last year.
AW: Yeah, it’s always a great experience. Playing at a stadium with a few more people than we usually have watching us is brilliant. Hopefully it’s something we’ll have to get used to in the future.
JR: I was very nervous. But once the game starts it’s okay and gives you a real buzz.

LFC: Anyone who has watched the youth team in action will have noticed some solid tackles from Jack. Is it fair to say you like making challenges?
JR: (Laughs) Yeah, that’s probably right. If there’s a 50:50 to be won I try to win it.

LFC: Have either of you guys been on the receiving end of a Robinson tackle?
CC: (Laughs) One of his? No. He doesn’t usually bring out the big tackles in training, only in games.

LFC: A lot of changes occurred at the Academy during the summer, how have they affected you?
CC: It’s been good; there is a buzz around the place. Back in the summer Rafa Benitez came in, introduced all the new coaching staff and had a chat with us.
AW: They told us they were looking for local players.
CC: And if players are playing well they will get through.
JR: It was good to hear stuff like that.
CC: And to see Rafa, because that doesn’t happen every day. It was good of him to take the time to come down here.
JR: Everyone took on board what he said.

LFC: One of the changes was Rodolfo Borrell’s appointment as U18 boss. How have you found working with him?
JR: He doesn’t say too much after games.
CC: You can tell he’s happy after a win because he is bouncing about.
AW: But when we lose you can tell he’s down.
CC: Since him and the other new coaches came in training has changed. Now we work more on passing and keeping possession. I think that suits us three more because none of us dribble with the ball, apart from Andre when he’s out on the wing.
JR: We work on attacking and defending as a team too.
AW: Rodolfo is a passionate manager and really loves football.
CC: You can see how much he cares about the team.

LFC: Has he shouted at any of you yet?
AW: (Laughs) We all get our fair share.
JR: I’ve had a few lectures from him.
AW: If you step out of line he puts you back in your place, which is only right. That’s how he keeps everyone grounded and pushing to do better.

LFC: Kenny Dalglish also came in during the summer. Do you have much contact with our former number seven?
AW: We see him around the place a lot and he’s always a chirpy chap.
CC: He walks around without his shoes off. But I suppose he can, can’t he. No one’s going to stop him.
JR: He comes out with the U16s quite a lot, usually on Wednesdays on the Astroturf. He’s a really good coach.

LFC: Carra is guest editor of this week’s magazine. Have you worked with him while he’s been doing his coaching badges?
CC: Yeah, last year.
AW: It was really enjoyable. We were trying to just take in everything he told us. He’s played at the highest level and won the Champions League so it’s obvious he knows what he’s talking about.
CC: He tells you stories about how he’s approached playing against players like Thierry Henry. It’s great to learn from someone like that.

LFC: Didi Hamann has also been doing his badges here. Has he taken any of your sessions?
JR: He’s been working with the U16s mainly so I’ve had the chance to train with him. He has a laugh and a joke with you and is very good too, particularly on things like positioning.

LFC: When did you find out you were in the England U17 squad?
AW: Two weeks before the trip to Portugal.
CC: Around the end of January we got texts and a letter through from the FA. We were all made up.

LFC: Does having your club-mates with you on international duty make it even more enjoyable?
AW: Yeah, I think so. Everyone else in the squad is sound but it’s good to have some familiar faces there too.

LFC: Did you all travel to London together to meet up with the squad?
JR: Me and Andre did. Conor didn’t come with us because he’s a woolly back from St Helens.
CC: (Laughs) I live there so I went down on my own.

LFC: With France, Portugal and Ukraine in the tournament the standard must have been good?
AW: It was really difficult and definitely a good experience for us.
CC: France were a top, top team and very hard to play against.
JR: Portugal too. They’re the matches you want to take part in.

LFC: The U17s next fixtures are at the end of March. You’re obviously hoping to be involved again?
JR: If we get picked that would be great. We’ll try to do the same as we did in Portugal.
AW: If you’re performing well for your club they select you.
CC: They speak to the Academy manager and the coaches here all the time. Then they’ll come along and watch us in games, so it’s up to us.

LFC: Do you think it’s harder than ever to come through the ranks at a Premier League club?
AW: Definitely.
CC: I think it’s really difficult now, especially at a big club like Liverpool.
AW: Clubs can go overseas and bring in youngsters. So it’s hard for everyone. But whoever wants it the most will get it.

LFC: Attempting to become a professional footballer obviously requires sacrifices. Do you find it difficult to stay in when your mates are going out?
JR: Not at all, staying in helps you to play better.
CC: We want to play football. When it comes to playing or going out with your mates there’s no competition. We know we have to do it.
AW: We know because of our profession we can’t do certain things other kids our age can. But it should help us improve as players.

LFC: Do your mates think you have an easy life?
JR: Yeah, we get that all the time.
AW: I love what I’m doing but it is tough. It’s physically demanding, you have to be switched on at all times and, as we said, there are a lot of sacrifices required.
CC: A lot of people want to be in our position.
JR: We’re lucky to do what we do. So we have to take advantage of the position.

LFC: Do you ever have a kickabout with your mates?
CC: No, we’re not allowed.
AW: Plus we train every day.
JR: We are all wrecked after spending the day here.
CC: People might think it’s easy but it’s not. It takes it out of you. We have to do weights and other work apart from football too.
AW: I’m shattered right now.
CC: We had four games last week and that was really difficult so we probably wouldn’t have the energy for playing other football anyway.

LFC: It’s not all football is it; tell us about a typical day here?
CC: It’s slightly different for Jack because he’s still at school. Normally we get in here for 9am, have our breakfast and, if we have to, do weights. Or if you have an injury you might go to see the physio instead.
AW: Then training starts at 10, for about two hours.
JR: Dinner follows after that.
AW: On Wednesday afternoon some of the players go out on the Astroturf to do heading work with Pep Segura (Academy Technical Manager). Kenny joins in with that too.
CC: On Tuesday and Thursday afternoons we’ve got education, that runs from about half one until four o’clock. It’s not too bad.

LFC: If you weren’t playing football what do you think you’d be doing?
CC: I really don’t know what.
AW: That’s a hard question.
CC: Andre would probably be a body builder or a weight lifter.
AW: Maybe a PE teacher.
CC: Yeah, something to do with sport. I think I’d be lost if I wasn’t here because I’m not the cleverest.
JR: I’m the same; I’d be lost without the club. I have no idea what I’d do.

LFC: What are your aims for the future?
CC: We all need to keep working hard and playing well on Saturdays.
JR: If we do that we might get another chance with England, and if that comes along we have to take it.
AW: Obviously we’d like to be in the first team at Liverpool eventually. But if not, hopefully we can do that somewhere else and carve out a career in football.
JR: Our long-term goal has to be the first team. It might take a few years to get there but we have to keep working hard and getting better. And never give up.

 

Tell us about your team-mates.......
LFC: Loudest?
AW: Loudest?
JR: That’s a tough one, maybe Michael Ngoo.
AW: Deale Chamberlain, the goalkeeper.
CC: Yeah, or Michael Ngoo. They both never shut up.

Quietest?
AW: Maybe one of the foreign lads because they haven’t been here that long.
CC: Krisztian Adorjan or Kristjan Gauti Emilsson
JR: Definitely one of them.

Funniest?
All three: Flano (John Flanagan)
JR: It has to be him.
CC: It’s got to be. He says the most random and unexpected things you’ll ever hear in your life.

Worst dresser?
JR: You (points at Andre)
CC: Yeah, it’s got to be.
AW: Come on, you’re having a laugh.
JR: His taste in clothes has got better I suppose.
AW: Come on.
CC: Andre probably.
AW: Worst dresser? You can’t say me. Who is it?
CC: Ok, maybe Kristjan Gauti or Krisztian Adorjan.
JR: Kristjan Gauti wears some really bad trainers.
AW: Yeah Kristjan Gauti, it’s definitely not me.

Worst when it comes to choosing music?
AW: You don’t really hear what people are listening to because everyone has their Ipod on.
JR: You’re always listening to rubbish. (points at Andre)
CC: When we go to away games and share a room your taste is poor.
AW: That’s my upbringing, I can’t help it.
CC: He listens to a load of rubbish from the London scene.
AW: You don’t understand it, if you did you’d love it.

Laziest?
AW: Toni
CC: Toni Silva
JR: Yeah, definitely.
AW: He’s a good player but very lazy.
CC: At the start of a session we do a run and he’s always near the back.
AW: Stephen Sama too.

Always late?
CC: Would you boys say J Ellison?
AW: Yeah, maybe.
JR: The coaches properly drill it in to us about being late so nobody usually is.
AW: If we are we get fined.

Always eating?
All: Flano.
AW: I think that’s why he’s always laughing, he has too many wine gums or sweets.
CC: At college he always raids the shop.


This interview first appeared in LFC Weekly Magazine.

No comments:

Post a Comment