Friday 26 November 2010

ARBELOA INTERVIEW FROM HIS LAST SEASON AT ANFIELD

MOST players on a football field have one major task to carry out in one area of the pitch.
For Pepe Reina it’s shot-stopping, Jamie Carragher is in charge of the defence, while Fernando Torres scores the match-winning goals at the other end.
Others have to do a bit of everything, and Alvaro Arbeloa is one of those.
Naturally our number 17 has to defend, but his fullback role also involves constantly getting up and down the pitch to provide the side with valuable width.
That’s not an enviable task, although the affable Spaniard wouldn’t have it any other way.
“It’s one of the most difficult positions you can play because you have to be very fit and the job requires you to do a lot of different things.
“Sometimes you have to cross, then the next minute you have to shoot while moments later you can find yourself running back to defend and tackle,” he laughs. “At times it’s crazy and it’s not easy. But I enjoy it all and love being so involved.
“I try to deal with it by just concentrating on one thing at a time and then moving on to the next task.”
Constantly running from end to end for 90 minutes requires great energy and often leaves the former Real Madrid and Deportivo La Coruna man drained.
“After a game I do be really, really tired,” he admits, “a lot more than when I played at centre-back.
“Being in the middle of the defence is very different. There you have a little bit of running to do and some tackling, you don’t have to get forward at all really.
“I spoke with Carra about this recently after he’d played at fullback and he said he was really tired too. I think that’s normal when you play in that position.”
Carra filled in there when Arbeloa was injured at the turn of the year, so how does the regular right-back feel the vice-skipper performed?
“He did really well and I wasn’t at all surprised by that. Jamie is a top player and we all know he can perform well in any position at the back. However I don’t want to see him at right-back too often because that means I won’t be playing,” Arbeloa laughs.
The man from Salamanca can often be a vital attacking weapon for us and that area of his game is something he continues to work on.
“It’s not easy to know when to push forward, you have to make the right decisions regarding the right moment.
“Rafa talks to me about that a lot. I think in terms of that type of attacking we have improved as a team.
“I feel as a full-back I can go forward a lot. Overlapping and getting into those positions is very important for us, especially at home where there isn’t too much space.
“I practice crossing and shooting every day, especially crossing. I find myself in great positions a lot so I have to be able to deliver good balls for the strikers.”
A prime example of that came at Eastlands back on the first Sunday of October.
2-0 down at the break, a great passing move involving Mascherano and Gerrard released Arbeloa whose low cross allowed Torres to kick-start a famous comeback.
Having licence to join the attack occasionally presents him with shooting opportunities too, although he is quick to suggest that isn’t one of his strong points.
“I’m not very good at it,” the 26-year-old smiles.
Anyone who has witnessed his two Liverpool goals – against Reading in 2007 and West Brom in November - will probably disagree, as both were beautiful curled efforts, one with each foot.
“I closed my eyes when I was shooting,” he jokingly insists when we point this out. “Thankfully they went in. They were nice, not bad for me. If I can score one or two goals every season I’ll be very happy.”
While he mightn’t appear on the scoresheet himself too often, Arbeloa is always one of the first to celebrate when we do find the net.
“It’s true. Even if I’m tired I forget about that when the ball goes in and suddenly have extra energy. That moment is very special, particularly in a big game and I love being part of it with my teammates.”
As with any job there are good and bad parts to being an attacking fullback.
“The fact that you are involved in all areas of the game is what makes it really enjoyable. You don’t just defend or just attack, you have to do everything,” Arbeloa explains before stating with a chuckle: “that’s probably also the worst part of it too.
“You can defend well for 90 minutes but someone will say you didn’t get forward enough.
“Then, in other games, you can get forward a lot but somebody will suggest you didn’t defend as well. Finding the right balance is not easy.”
Two men who Arbeloa believes do exactly that are Daniel Alves and Sergio Ramos.
“For me they are the best around in that role. They are top class. Jose Bosingwa is another who has also impressed me. They are great players who can do everything a fullback is supposed to.”
There’s also an up and coming Liverpool youngster who Alvaro believes possesses the assets to perform in that position.
“Emiliano Insua definitely has the qualities needed.
“He’s young, but has great technique and has looked good when he has been involved with the first team. If he can keep improving I’m sure he’ll be a great player for us.”
Insua is obviously a left-back, a role Arbeloa has occupied a lot. But does he now see himself as a permanent fixture on the opposite flank?
“I don’t know,” he says. “I think I can do a better job at right-back but it’s obviously to my advantage if I can play in either position.
“For example I played at left-back with Spain recently. Managers obviously like players to be versatile, so that can only benefit me.
”Nobody can be sure about anything at a big club like this and I would never consider myself to be guaranteed a place in the team. We all know that, and if I can play in different places it obviously helps me.”
That was one of the main reasons why Rafa brought his previously unheard of compatriot to the club in January 2007.
“The time has gone really quickly for me,” Arbeloa continues. “It feels shorter than two years. I suppose that’s because I am really happy here and have already had some amazing experiences.”
Featuring as a late substitute during the 2007 Champions League final and then becoming a European champion last summer are the obvious highlights.
“When I left Deportivo I never thought that would happen to me. I’d only been at Depor for a short time and then the Liverpool opportunity came along. It was unbelievable and I think being here has made me a better player.
“Although I still think I can improve and hopefully that will happen if I continue to word hard every day.”
During his first few months on Merseyside he was hardly ever stopped by supporters, now that’s not the case.
“People recognise me more, that’s true. I don’t mind; I’m very happy to pose for a photo or give them a signature.
“When I was growing up I did the same because I was a fan of Atletico Madrid and wanted the autographs of players like Juninho. Every kid wants that and I’m only happy to help.”
Arbeloa meets and greets the supporters with a smile on his face and is always the same when he sits down for an interview. In fact, he constantly seems to possess a positive demeanour, even out on the pitch.
“I try to play with a smile on my face, it just comes naturally.
“I enjoy the game. It’s not easy to do so as a defender because you have a very serious job to carry out.
“Whereas goalscorers or attackers can be happier on the field because they get to do the nicer parts of football.
“Us guys at the back have to concentrate and be serious.
We have to ensure there are no mistakes and shout a lot, like Carra and Martin Skrtel do. Carra does that for everyone which means I don’t have to do too much of it. Maybe that’s why I can smile more!”
Ending the season with silverware, particularly the Premier League title would leave Arbeloa with an even broader grin than usual. But he is well aware that is now a big ask.
“It’s going to be very difficult, we know that,” he admits.
“All we can do is win our own games and not think about Man United until we go to Old Trafford.
“We’ve got to hope we are closer when that match comes around. Then, if we can win there, who knows? A draw might be good enough for them, for us it will be three points or nothing.
“But we can do it and will be giving our all.”
Looking at the league table it’s obvious what our Achilles heel has been.
“Too many draws,” he says with a shake of the head.
“The difference is United have won games where they haven’t been at their best.
“They’ve done that by scoring and keeping a clean sheet.
“On a lot of occasions we’ve got ourselves in similar positions. Everton and Wigan are prime examples.
“In those games we probably weren’t at our best, but took the lead only to concede late goals from set-pieces that cost us points. If we had held on we’d be a lot closer to the top.”
Despite that Arbeloa still believes there are a lot of positives to take from our 2008/09 campaign.
“Whatever happens in the next few months we have challenged for the title this season, more than any time in recent years.
“We were top for a long time and have been very difficult to beat. That’s something to be positive about and we can use that to improve and challenge again next season.
“But we won’t be giving up on the title yet. That’s not our way. We’ll keep going until it’s mathematically impossible. That’s for sure.”
ENDS

No comments:

Post a Comment